The Selection Committee operates on an annual cycle which generally follows the school calendar. The Committee meets approximately once per month beginning at the start of the fall semester and continues through the spring semester culminating in the annual election day in May for the school budget vote and Board of Education trustee elections. The Committee’s business includes:
- Meeting with the current Board of Education members to get their perspective on the responsibilities and commitments of being a Board member
- Meeting with the superintendent to get his or her perspective on upcoming priorities and challenges
- Attending Board meetings and reporting back to the rest of the Selection Committee
- Getting the word out in the community to find people potentially interested in running for the Board of Education, meeting with them to provide background information and to answer questions and, if interested, making introductions to current Board members to allow them to learn more about the role and responsibilities
- Board of Education candidates are asked submit applications by January 31 each year to provide time to perform reference checks and schedule interviews. (In years when there are not enough candidates to fill the available openings, exceptions can be made to this deadline).
- Vetting of Board of Education candidates including reference calls, interviews with candidates, and finally, deliberation and a blind vote to endorse candidates
- Publicizing the Selection Committee’s endorsement throughout the community and encouraging community members to get out and vote for the budget and Board of Education candidates
In addition to the primary work outlined above in finding, vetting and endorsing candidates for the Board of Education, the Selection Committee also works to find new candidates to replace those Selection Committee members that are rolling off after their third year. This effort includes:
- Getting the word out in the community to find potential Selection Committee candidates
- Selection Committee candidates are asked to submit applications by March 1 each year so the Committee can spend the rest of the spring focusing on the Board of Education candidate interview and vetting process. (In years when there are not enough candidates to fill the available openings, exceptions can be made to this deadline).